Docomomo Photo Prize – Spring 2017
International Photograph Competition
Art & Architecture
1st May – 30th June 2017
Docomomo Photo Prize is an international photograph competition promoted by Docomomo International that will take place every season according to a specific theme, through Instagram. DoCoMoMo International is a non-profit organization dedicated to the Documentation and Conservation (DoCo) of buildings, sites and neighbourhoods of the Modern Movement (MoMo), which aims to:
- Bring the significance of the architecture of the MoMo to the attention of the public, the authorities, the professionals and the educational community.
- Identify and promote the surveying of the works of the MoMo.
- Promote the conservation and (re)use of buildings and sites of the MoMo.
- Oppose destruction and disfigurement of significant MoMo works.
- Foster and disseminate the development of appropriate techniques and methods of conservation and adaptive (re)use.
- Explore and develop new ideas for the future of a sustainable built environment based on the past experiences of the MoMo.
At the end of the 1980s, many MoMo masterpieces had already been demolished or had changed beyond recognition. This is mainly due to the fact that many were not considered to be elements of heritage, that their original functions have substantially changed and that their technological innovations have not always endured long-term stresses. One of the major missions of this competition comprises the construction of a memory of these buildings, sites and neighbourhoods, through the development of a global digital database with different views from the existing panorama. Beyond to create a showcase of MoMo production around the world, this competition aims to map its different times and geographies, in connection to its present condition.
Docomomo International challenges you to join this worldwide effort of MoMo dissemination towards its documentation and preservation by sharing with us your photographs!
The theme of the Docomomo Photo Prize – Spring 2017 contest will be the relation between Art and Architecture within Modern Movement production.
From 1 May to 30 June 2017.
- Follow Docomomo International on Instagram.
- Upload your photograph at your public Instagram profile with.
- A brief description of the photograph.
- The basic information of the photographed object – author/architect, building name, city, country, years of project and construction.
(Example: Amazing mosaic murals! Juan O´Gorman, Library of National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico, 1951–1953.)
- Tagging Docomomo International (@docomomointernational).
- Using the hashtags #docomomophotoprize, #spring2017 and #artarchitecture
- The winners will be contacted through Instagram and will be asked to send to Docomomo International email address (email@example.com) the following information: full name; email address; post address; biographical info; the photo in its best resolution; the basic information of the photographed object (author/architect, building name, city, country, year of project and construction).
Entrants can submit up to 5 photographs per season.
By submitting a photograph in the contest, each entrant warrants that his/her photographs conform to the terms and conditions of the contest and agrees with the evaluation process.
- First stage: a pre-selection of 20 photographs will be made by the general public, through the amount of likes on Instagram.
- Second stage: the selection of 1 winner and honourable mentions will be made, from the pre-selection stage, by a panel of judges composed by international experts on Modern Movement and professional photographers, in accordance with the following skills-based judging criteria: approach to the theme; impact; relevance; centre of interest; story telling & subject matter; technical quality; composition; creativity; colour balance and lighting.
The jury panel (that will be announced soon) and Docomomo International secretariat, with no right to win the competition, will safeguard a fair and balanced judging procedure.
The winner will receive a Docomomo International membership, surprise Docomomo International gifts, and the winning photograph will be published at Docomomo International website and social networks. The annual institutional membership provides the following benefits:
- Subscriptions to the Docomomo Journal – the only international bi-annual periodical which, since 1990, summarizes recent research on the sites and buildings of the Modern Movement (http://www.docomomo.com/shop/catalog/1).
- 1 reduced registrations for the biennial International Docomomo Conference.
- 1 institutional Docomomo Member Card, providing discounts accessing museums, partner institutions and activities worldwide dedicated to the Modern Movement.
The subscription of the monthly Docomomo´s digital newsletter, with information within Modern Movement related initiatives worldwide.
The photographs receiving honourable mentions will be published at Docomomo International website and social networks and their authors will receive surprise Docomomo International gifts.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- By submitting an entry in the contest, the entrant warrants that his/her photographs conform to these terms:
- The entrant is the sole and exclusive owner of the photograph.
- The photograph is entrant’s own creation and is 100% original.
- The photograph must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, trademark rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement.
- The photograph must not contain material that is inappropriate, disparaging, unlawful, offensive, false or misleading.
- By submitting an entry, the entrant grants Docomomo International a royalty-free license to publish and reproduce the entrant’s first name, last name, address (city), biographical information, photograph submitted in the contest and respective description in Docomomo International publications, website and social networks.
Docomomo International reserves the right to disqualify an entrant from the contest if it believes that the entry fails to conform to the contest guidelines and/or terms and conditions.